Sophomore T.J. Bauer dives into his second Bulldog season

Tanner Burch

This sophomore swimmer has witnessed a couple of changes in his first two years of swimming, from his coach, a newly retired dean of students,  to a new roster of swimmers, incoming freshmen, and graduating seniors.

Sophomore T.J. Bauer says he has been swimming since he was eight or nine years old and has begun his second season swimming for the Bulldogs. He says his goals have remained the same, since his swimming career began.

“[My goals are] to improve my times and to catch up on lost time that I have with not swimming for RAC (Riverside Aquatic Club),” Bauer said.

Bauer’s main goal for his sophomore year in swimming is to encourage his fellow swimmers to do their best.

“I would like to do the best I can and help other people do the best that they can and achieve their goal,” Bauer said. 

As fas as Bauer is concerned, he doesn’t think swimming to be an underappreciated sport. He even considers the swim team to have a fair amount of swimmers.

“Swimming could get more attention, but there aren’t as many people that swim as playthe basketball team,” Bauer said. “There just aren’t as many people, but I feel like it’s a fair amount number of people.”

Bauer says he thinks he can expose the sport by helping get the word out.

“I think we could help get the word out there, about how fun swimming is, how good it can be for you, how it helps with your self–discipline, and how it shows a commitment can be,” Bauer said.

Bauer’s has advice for incoming freshman.

“Try their hardest in swimming and don’t give up; try to make it through the season without giving up,” Bauer said.

Bauer recommends freshmen join a swim club.

“It definitely helps, but it’s another big commitment to be a part of throughout the year,” Bauer said.

As much as swimming in high school has provided opportunities for Bauer, he doesn’t think college will provide the same opportunities.

“No [I don’t plan to swim in college] because it’s very difficult,” Bauer said. “Not that I wouldn’t be up to the challenge, but it’s just more to a higher level that I haven’t reached yet.”Katie Cook