Junior Samantha Condra’s Triumph in the Lane

Tanner Burch, Reporter

From freshman to junior

This swimmer has witnessed a couple of changes in her four years of swimming, primarily because of the new rosters of swimmers on her two teams.

Junior Samantha Condra has been swimming for the Bulldogs since her freshman year. Armed with a four years of swimming experience, she’s going in headstrong into the new season.

“I started swimming in seventh grade for my middle school, but I didn’t start club until freshman year,” Condra said.

Condra also swims for another swim team.

“I swim for Pace, which is up at Jeff. I really like Pace because all of the people there are really nice and I love the coach there,” Condra said.  

The 500 freestyle was an event Condra really wanted to do well in this year.

“My goal for this year is to get under six minutes in the 500 and to just work my hardest, to get good times,” Condra said. “This year, I want to get top eight at sectional and of course, get in the 5:40s (in the 500).”

Most of her goals have been accomplished, especially when it comes to her performance at sectionals last year.

“Most of mine have been accomplished from the past two years because I dropped a lot of time at sectionals last year,” Condra said.

Swimming isn’t known for its big fanbase, Condra couldn’t agree more.

“Unless it’s the Olympics, then everyone watches it,” Condra said. “I feel like some people just don’t understand it and they think it’s just swimming, but there’s a lot more to it than getting in the water.”

As much as swimming in high school has provided opportunities for her, she doesn’t think college will provide the same opportunities.

“I won’t swim in college because it takes a lot of my time; when I go to college I want more focus on school and getting a job,” Condra said.

Condra says that she would try to ask her friends to join the swim team.

“Probably just ask my friends to go and then if they like it, they can get other people to go too,” Condra said.

Her advice for freshman next year:

“Just go to practice. Practice hard and it will pay off in the meets.”