Time to Kill? Hit the Books.

When you can Netflix no more, reach for an old-fashioned novel

Time to Kill? Hit the Books.

Sierra French, Reporter

During these trying times, many of us find ourselves plagued by the infamous free-time. Despite the hours of Netflix originals and the buzz of Tiger King, it seems nothing is enough to curb our boredom. Many of us forget the most practiced form of escapism – reading! With so much newfound time on our hands, there’s no better time to explore literature than now. 

Books That Make You ThinkQuiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking ...

For me personally, the books I’m after are not always written in traditional formatting, and speak to new ideas I am yet to consider. One of these novels I have found thought provoking recently is called Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking. This book questions the value of an extroverted personality, and reevaluates societal norms. Contrary to popular belief, introverted personalities are more valuable than many believe them to be. If you’re looking for a book that makes you think and dissect your own set of values, I would highly recommend this novel. Although there is no fast-paced plot or unraveling conflict, this read is one that keeps you engaged and curious. 

The Fountainhead (Student Edition): Ayn Rand: 9780451231000 ...Books That Make You Question

Novels primarily focused on philosophy can often become dull quickly, despite the complexity of the ideas discussed. However, I find this not to be the case in Ayn Rand’s novel The Fountainhead. The story follows a young architect named Howard Roark who although brilliant, refuses to adhere to what is expected of him by his superiors. As a result of his unapologetic creativity, he is shunned by those in the business and has trouble finding and keeping work. This book questions what the word Selfishness truly means, and defines it as a virtue rather than a trait of toxicity. If you’re looking for a novel that challenges traditional teachings, I would highly recommend trying any Ayn Rand book, specifically The Fountainhead. 

Back to the ClassicsTheir Eyes Were Watching God | NEA

Some of the most profound ideologies yet to be presented in literature stem from classic novels such as Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Hurston.  Hurston was an African American Anthropologist who was subjected to the cruel racism of the 20’s, during the Harlem Renaissance. While she was on an anthropology trip to Hati, she became inspired by the women there, and wrote Their Eyes Were Watching God. The novel follows a strong African American woman named Janie Crawford who married for stability rather than love. After she married, she led a life of misery and felt a lack of fulfillment within herself. As the novel unfolds, Janie must make the hardest decision of her life, one that may cost her her own. I highly recommend this novel due to it’s realism, as well as the engaging style of writing.

Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky - Reading Guide ...Challenging Novels

One of the most unreadable books I have ever read would be Crime and Punishment  written by Fedor Dostoevsky. Despite the consistent action and suspense, the writing style is something I had a very tough time getting through the first time I attempted to read this book. I felt the story was too wordy, and that the diction distracted the reader from what was happening in the story. However, I decided to give the book another try, and I am really glad that I did. On closer  inspection, I realized the book seems chaotic because the Dostoevsky was mimicking the mania represented by the main character, Raskolnilov, as his crime spree unfolds and his mental state crumbles. The psychology of the insane is definitely the focal point of the language, and knowing this makes the story much more engaging. If you’re looking for a book to challenge what you typically read, I would highly recommend giving Crime and Punishment a try.