Blotter

Terrorist attack in Christchurch

An attack at two mosques in New Zealand leaves 50 dead and roughly 50 more injured

Back to Article
Back to Article

Terrorist attack in Christchurch

Police across the street from the mosques attacked in New Zealand shortly after the attack. (AP Photo/Mark Baker)

AP

AP

AP

Rachael Rutherford, Entertainment editor

On March 15 horror swept New Zealand as a gunman opened fire in a terrorist attack, targeting two mosques in the city of Christchurch, New Zealand. According to CNN, police were on the scene six minutes after receiving the call.

The massacre, already breaking the hearts of millions, was allegedly carried out by an Australian native, Brenton Tarrant, who live-streamed the attack on Facebook while he was committing it. According to CNN, he has been charged on one count of murder and will be seen in court this weekend. Officials say he will be facing more charges to come.

The terrorist attack is said to have been carried out with two shotguns and two semi-automatic weapons, all of which were acquired legally. New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has vowed to work towards changing the nation’s gun policies in order to prevent a catastrophic event like this from happening again, and meetings have already taken place.

The attack is being categorized as a hate crime against the Islamic faith worldwide, and many people are speaking out about it on social media, using the hashtag #prayforchristchurch.

As of Sunday, the New Zealand government has confirmed that they are reforming the country’s gun laws to prevent future shootings, according to CNN.

“Within 10 days of this horrific act of terrorism we will have announced reforms which will, I believe, make our community safer,” Prime Minister Ardern said.