Choosing the best option

Hybrid and virtual students weigh pros and cons of in-person school

Jona Carper, Reporter

With some students at home and some at school this year — they’re never all together, and when it comes to homework, some students’ homework load is a lot different than it has been in past years. 

Students have three options on how to complete their school days; the first option is completely virtual, where students do not report to the building and receive instruction via Google Meets.

“I started off all virtual this year,” said junior Isaac Minton.

The second option is a hybrid option where students come to school two days out of the week, and the other three days they are doing their schoolwork at home. 

“I started off going two days a week,” said sophomore Nick Prince. 

The third option is four days a week. These students come in person four days a week, and on virtual Wednesdays they stay home and complete their school day from home with all other students. 

Students have also been switching from all virtual to two days a week, all virtual to four days a week, two days a week to four days a week, two days a week to all virtual, or four days a week to all virtual. 

Senior Towner Perry switched from two days a week to four. 

“[I switched] because my grades were slipping,” said Perry.

Junior Shelby Rodriguez switched from two days a week to all virtual.

“I started off going Tuesdays and Thursdays,” said Roudriguez. “I changed to all virtual because my parents and I knew no matter how hard the school tries to make it as safe as possible for others to go to school, there would be students who neglect the rules and not do the basic protocols like constantly washing their hands and things like that.”

Prince has not changed from two days a week.

“I haven’t changed because I’d struggle if I was all virtual because I wouldn’t be able to see my friends, and going all four days doesn’t seem necessary to me if I’m doing fine in school,” said Prince.

On top of trying to get the work done that’s assigned in class, there are students who have extracurricular activities after school like sports, work or performing arts. 

“I do theatre and I also work,” said junior Olivia Head. “When I am in a show, rehearsals usually last from the end of school to about five or six almost every night. I also work four to nine most days.”

According to U.S. News Health, high school students spend an average of three hours a night on homework, but juniors spend more time on homework than any other grade. 

There are some students who believe that school is more beneficial in person.

“I think school is easier in person because I have teachers and other classmates to help me if I get stuck,” said Head. 

Some students say learning from home has been more beneficial than school in person.

“Personally, it’s easier to do at home,” said Rodriguez. “I have social anxiety and just anxiety in general, so it used to be hard for me to get up and go to school so I ended up missing a lot of school. But now I wake up with the ease of knowing I’ll be home and I don’t have to worry too much about embarrassing myself in school or worry about my physical appearance and that everyone is making fun of me.”

Along with the students who believe one or the other, there are some students who don’t really have a strong opinion on which one is better for them. 

“In past years, school has been a lot easier in person, but this year I can’t really give a specific answer because it’s just been all over the place,” said junior Santana Pepper. 

This school year has already been a lot different than previous years because of school being both online and virtual and the schedule time changes. 

“I think [this school year] has been harder homework-wise, but easier test-wise,” said Minton. 

Not only has the change made it harder for students, but trying to balance school with extracurricular activities with school has been harder for students this year as well. 

“School is definitely harder,” said Head. “Wearing masks, combined with being socially distanced, and figuring out virtual days is all so stressful. Trying to balance my life between work, theater, homework, and my social life is all so much harder.”

When it comes to homework, everyone has a different opinion, especially when it comes to this year’s homework load. It has affected some students in a good way, a bad way, and no way at all. 

“It’s honestly taking a huge toll on my mental health,” said Rodriguez. “I don’t think that it helps me learn at all because I can easily look up the answers and I feel like the only time I can catch a break is on the weekends but even then I have to catch up on my work.”

“I don’t get homework, so that load is light,” said Perry. 

Prince says this year’s homework load has’t really had an affect on him.

“I don’t mind it,” said Prince. “It’s not nearly as bad as I expected at the beginning of the year.”

The hybrid schedule has also brought about conversation of whether or not learning this way is effective.

“I feel like I’m not getting my full education because of the lack of communication,” said Minton. 

Pepper says she believes that she is not getting the full education she believes she should be getting. 

“I’m distracted by my phone and TV at home and I have lost my good habits when it comes to studying and remembering things for tests/assignments,” Pepper said.

According to an article from the New York Times, students realized that they took their school routine for granted, and miss every aspect of going to school every day. 

November 17 Superintendent Dr. Brad Snyder announced students across the district will be moving to virtual school until the end of the first semester.