Prom has evolved over the decades

Emily Hogan, 12

Erikah Crosier, Reporter

Over the last 30 years prom has changed from a night where you dress nice and dance with your date to the most anticipated day of the year. Some students spend more than $1,000 on their special night.

In the school newspaper, 1988 Clarksville High School senior Kelly Haworth is quoted, “All together, I plan to spend about $300 on prom this year. That includes the dress, after prom, and Kings Island.”

The thought of only spending $300 on prom sounds like a fantasy to teenagers nowadays. The average cost of prom in 2017 was more than $600, according to promgirl.com.

“I spent a total of $1,100 on prom last year,” senior Alyssa Kraemer said.

One possibility of the price increase is students don’t just pay for a dress and/or tux, there are all sorts of other expenses teens consider necessary: dinner, a limo, after prom, etc.

“I have to get a dress, shoes, earrings, and my hair, makeup, and nails done for prom,” senior Malyra Bendson said.

Lots of female promgoers today not only buy a dress, but also shoes and jewelry, as well as pay for makeup appointment, hair appointment, nail appointment, and alterations if needed. The males are buying a suit or renting a tux, tickets, dinner, transportation, boutonniere/corsage, and a haircut.

“My dress last year was $650 including alterations,” Kraemer said.

For girls it starts off with the dress, which alone can range from $100-$800. After that there may be a need for alterations, which could be anywhere from $20-$75. Then, there’s the shoes, $40. Jewelry and nails are another $100. And lastly hair and makeup range from $75-$125. Girls who choose to go alone will also have to buy dinner, transportation, ticket, and corsage.

Girls aren’t the only ones going all out for prom, guys too are averaging more than $300 on prom, according to promgirl.com.

“My budget for prom is $500,” senior Wyatt Malone said. “I have to get a suit, tickets, flowers, and dinner.”

Tuxedo rental is anywhere from $50-$250 including fees. Tickets prices for prom at New Albany are generally around $30, making it $60 per couple. Corsages and boutonnieres could be the least expensive thing the guys must buy, with corsages ranging from $15-$45 and boutonnieres costing between $5 and $25. Depending on how fancy you go, dinner costs can range from $40-$200 with tax and tips. Another cost guys could be paying is for transportation. Whether its borrowing your parents’ sport car, renting a car, limousine, or a party bus. The cost for transportation ranges from $40-$100; this brings the possible total cost for guys to more than $500.

The average total cost per couple is around $1,500. While some students are lucky enough to have parents who will pay for all, if not some of their prom expenses.

“My parents are paying for prom,” Bendson said. “But I’ll pay them back somewhat.”

With the high cost of prom many people begin to wonder if it’s worth it.

“Prom does cost a lot,” Malone said. “But I think it’s worth it because it’s a once in a lifetime experience that you only get to experience a few times.”