Blotter

Baseball season has arrived

Bulldogs have high hopes for 2018 season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Baseball season has arrived

Erikah Crosier, Sports reporter

March 12 marked the beginning for six senior Bulldogs.

“I’m very excited about baseball season because we have so much fun together,” senior Ryan Robison said. “It’s also my senior year so I hope it will be my best one yet.”

The first official practice of the 2018 season was March 12. There are six returning starters, including Jonah Boone, Ryan Robison, and Chase Rudy, who have high hopes for this year’s team.

I’m most looking forward to the Providence game because it got rained out last year and we never go the chance to make it up.”

— Senior Ryan Robison

“I have high expectations for the team this year, we have a lot of returning players that will help carry the team,” senior Jonah Boone said.

The Bulldogs finished their season last year third in Hoosier Hills Conference behind Floyd Central and Bedford North Lawrence. The goal this season is to be first.

“This season has the potential to be a lot better than last year because there’s more dedication and leadership taking place among the seniors,” Boone said.

For almost every sport in the Southern Indiana area, rival games are the most anticipated, and the same goes for baseball. During the 2017 season the Bulldogs defeated Jeffersonville 1-0 and took a tough loss to Floyd Central 5-1.

“The rival games are always the most fun because there’s large crowds and we play our hardest. The games get pretty intense and emotional, whether it’s happy, mad, or sad,” senior Zach Hubbard said.

While most of the players are looking forward to getting their revenge on rival Floyd Central some are looking forward to playing Providence for the first time in 2 years. The last time they faced each other the Bulldogs lost 2-0.

“I’m most looking forward to the Providence game because it got rained out last year and we never go the chance to make it up,” Robison said.

It’s been nearly 2 years since the Bulldog baseball team last one a sectional title. And this year they are aiming high for a state championship.

“I hope we have a very successful regular season but as long as at the end of the year we are holding an IHSAA state championship trophy I’ll be satisfied,” Robison said.

While the main goal is to play your hardest and get as far as you can. A lot of the things you remember for the rest of your life are the things that happen off the field.

“My favorite thing about baseball season is the warm weather and being with my childhood friends,” Hubbard said.

The Bulldogs open the season March 29 at 4 p.m. when they host Borden.