Morgan Jenks takes the field

Tanner Burch, Reporter

Personal Sports Profile #13

This junior softball player has witnessed a couple of changes in her three years of playing for the Bulldogs, from seniors leaving to a new roster of players. 

Junior Morgan Jenks has been playing softball for about 13 years. She says she was motivated her to join NA’s softball team because of her driving passion for the sport.   

“Well, I’ve played softball since I was little, so I already wanted to play,” Jenks said. “Just watching when I was younger, I always wanted to play for New Albany.”  

Jenks considers the hardest part of softball conditioning to be the mentality surrounding it.

“Probably just the mental aspect,” Jenks said. “Having to stay focused.”

One of Jenk’s personal goals for the past few years has been to become a better teammate.

“To become a better teammate, stronger player, and a better pitcher,” Jenks said. 

When reflecting on whether her personal goals have been accomplished, she says:

“I have succeeded because I’ve been working hard, on and off the field.”

She’ll have to wait until next month to see if the team accomplishes her main goal this year. 

“I want to win Sectionals,” Jenks said. 

Jenks considers softball to be an underappreciated sport.

“I feel like in the past we haven’t been as good, but this year people should really come out to the games because we’re really doing good this year,” Jenks said.

In order to expose the sport a little bit more, Jenks thinks that getting the word out is the way to do it. 

“Maybe just trying to get more people out to the games by telling more people,” Jenks said.

“I’ve always wanted to play softball in college,” Jenks said.

Her advice for  freshman next year: “To not be worried about seniority or to not be scared because once you get in the game nothing worries you like that.”