Sophomore Joey Roberts looks to improve

Personal Sports Profile #14

Tanner Burch, Reporter

This sophomore track runner has witnessed a couple of changes in his two years of running for the Bulldogs, from seniors leaving to a new roster of runners.

Sophomore Joey Roberts has been running track for four years. He began running track at 11 years old and he’s been running cross country for NA since his freshman year. Roberts sees the benefits of the two closely related running sports.

“Speed workouts,” Roberts said. “You get more short distance track workouts in track than in cross country.”

Roberts considers the hardest part of track conditioning to be the mentality surrounding it.

“Probably the mental challenge of long runs, on your own,” Roberts said. 

One of Roberts’ personal goals for the past few years has been:

“Really just to improve,” Roberts said. “That’s basically it.”

When reflecting on whether his personal goals have been accomplished, he says, “I’ve been raising my standards every day,” Roberts said. “I’ve been raising my standards for these improvements.”

Roberts doesn’t consider track to be an underappreciated sport, but when comparing it to another sport, he considers track to be more appreciated.

“It’s less underappreciated than cross country,” Roberts said. “I think track is pretty appreciated.”

In order to expose the sport a little bit more, Roberts thinks that getting the word out is the way to do it.

“You could tell your friends about meets,” Roberts said. “Ask them if they could come watch you. I think that’s the answer.”  

His aspirations to improve have directed him towards running in college.

“I want to continue improving on my running all through college,” Roberts said. “Maybe through my whole life.”

His advice for freshmen next year: “When you feel like you want to give up, don’t,” Roberts said. “You’ll regret it later.”