Letter from the Editor

Emily Owens, Editor-in-chief

Dear readers and every Blotter member here and to come,

Today marks my final day of high school, and my last day as editor-in-chief of your student newspaper. Let me extend my utmost gratitude for the opportunity to report for you the past three years. There is something quite special about telling stories. Telling stories gives way for you to openly express your point-of-view. It’s an intimate exchange between writer and reader, and every staff member must comprehend that in able to tell stories with justice.

From the meetings, the time spent on editing, interviewing, or even running to the printer to put ‘big paper’ in, the most important lesson I learned was how crucial it is to always have encouragement and to openly give encouragement. The world hates the truth, so it’s always going to try and snuff it out. Our job is to perpetuate truth, and it is a lot easier to do when there’s a crowd to cheer you on, or a crowd to help push against opposition.

Looking back, I can say that the news room brought something out of me that I did not know was in me. I found my place. Newspaper become my world, my home. I am almost at a loss for words when I think of the past three years. I wouldn’t want to change anything. Blotter gave me so much and I am not sure if I reciprocated the amount it gave me. There are a lot of things that I accomplished and that I am proud of, but I am most proud of this. Through the Blotter, I made connections with people I’d never would believe and I made lifelong friends. It set a passion and a purpose on the inside of me, and instilled leadership and friendship that will last through the ages.

To every one I have interviewed, thank you for letting me tell your story.

To my friends who have supported me, thank you for not giving up on me.

To my parents, thank you for loving me.

To Emily Hogan, thank you for being a friend to me always. I could always trust you and trust that you had my back.

To Tanner Probst, thank you every single cut-out man. Every single one.

To Lilly, Alex & Marley, I wouldn’t have survived without you three. My wing-men. Your impact in the newsroom goes far beyond yourself. I feel like I haven’t thanked you enough, you guys had my back always. Now I have yours. 

To the rest of the staff, thank you for letting me work with you. Thank you for the laughs. Thank you for letting me be vulnerable in front of you. Thank you for being my confidants. I am truly so proud of every single one of you. I cannot believe I had the opportunity to work with the most bright, influential, and curious students in the whole school. You all have a bright future and I will always believe in you.

To my advisor, Coach Faulkner, thank you for everything. Thank you for teaching me. I am humbled by your support this year.

To Mr. Nathan McGarvey, thank you for believing in me first. I wouldn’t be here today as a journalist if it wasn’t for your belief that I could.