How to make your summer productive

Kaitlyn Burdine, Reporter

While most students view summer as a time to kick back and relax, others view it as a lot of free time to get things done.

There are a million ways to have fun in the sun but a limited amount of ways to keep summer productive. With self-care tips seemingly on the rise, it may be best to utilize these next two months and expand your health and lifestyle to the best of your ability.

Work, Work, Work

With all of this free time on your hands, now is the perfect time to obtain a summer job or an internship. It’s crucial as a teenager to explore a work environment and get some experience, paid or not. Having a job can be scary and seem unattainable because of the process, but it isn’t the only option.

Volunteering is a popular alternative. There are many different places you can volunteer at and you often overlook them. For example, if you’re into sports, The Louisville Bats is a cool local opportunity to check out. Volunteering isn’t confined to commercialized places either, you could do something completely self-managed. Building on the previous example, you could coach a summer team for kids with disabilities or start a summer camp to help kids excel in sports.

To find more local volunteering opportunities, visit https://www.volunteermatch.org/search?l=New%20Albany%2C%20IN%2047150

Self-taught Summer School

Contrary to popular belief, school isn’t over during the summer. There are many things a student should be doing over the summer to be successful for the year ahead of them. Although it isn’t required and you don’t have the structural integrity school provides, you can do small things to benefit your education.

Keep a journal, apply for scholarships, visit colleges, study for important upcoming tests (SAT, ACT, PSAT.) High school is merely a stepping stone to your future and every second counts. Don’t let summer hold you back from starting off the school year with a bang.

Achieve Goals

Summer is the perfect time to cross off items on your bucket list. In order to keep things strictly productive, create a bucket list of personal challenges. Throughout the school year, it can be tough to juggle school with your personal life and you tend to lose sight of achieving goals. Use your time wisely and take that dancing class, lose that weight, get that license. Do all of the things you say you want to do but never have time for.

Health Help

Ideally, you want to be at your best before summer but that’s usually hard to obtain with school. It’s easy to say you’ve probably planned how to get fit multiple times and have an idea of what to do with your health but you aren’t sure how to go about it. Don’t be afraid to ask for health help.

Look into diets that fit with your goal, find a nutritionist and/or a personal trainer, and follow workout pages for some motivation. Although you won’t be bikini ready during the summer, you’ll start off the upcoming school year looking and feeling your best.

While summer is the perfect time to focus on yourself and be productive, it’s still your time to relax. Don’t make summer as stressful as the school year because while it is important to achieve goals, experience new things, and work on your health, it’s also important to give yourself a break. Sit back, relax, and have fun with friends. Just don’t lose sight of what’s really important.