The Bulldogs do it again

Kami Geron, Photo Editor

Holy moly, the Bulldogs took down Providence Pioneers once again 35-12 in the season opener August 17.

All it takes is one good play, one good pass, one touchdown. After that it came quite easily to the Bulldogs. Kicking off the night, not once but twice, sent fans and the players into a frenzy. 

“The feeling of seeing the game right in front of you gives a different perspective of excitement,” senior student trainer Makenna Daly said. “When seeing it at the same level as the field, you see so much more. You see the coaches yelling for their team to win, you see first hand players supporting each other, it’s just incredible.”

Sophomore Austin Oppel dove into the end zone to get the first touchdown of the game. Senior Noah Litzelswope made the extra point putting the Bulldogs 7-0 in the first quarter. Senior DeTre Payton ran another six points onto the board giving Litzelswope another run at an extra point. Junior Collin Sutton ended the first half with another touchdown leaving the field 21-0. 

“[Cooley] said [during halftime] to go out there and act like it was the start of the game,” junior Joe Carter said. “Play with the same mentality.”

Junior Malachi Peters was the only score in the third quarter followed by another Oppell score in the fourth. The game ended 35-12 with the Bulldogs entering their conference as the only ones besides Seymour with a win. 

“It’s a good win,” senior quarterback Dylan Clark said. “We played well last Friday. We played as one it also gives us confidence coming in to week two. We have watched film over and over on Castle; we are putting some new plays in for their defense and we should be ready to go.”

August 24 the Bulldogs will face Castle at 7:00 at home.