Life Lessons with Kyah

Dealing with your first accident

Kyah Grimes, Reporter

High School is full of ups and downs, that’s a given. However, students can start to feel overwhelmed and that’s where I come in. I’m just like you, I make mistakes. Lots of them. Today, i’m here to share an experience that so many of us, highschoolers, will experience throughout adulthood. 

On January 3rd, I was driving in Floyds Knobs. I was making my way down “the hill” when I hit a turn going too fast, and the wet road from the rain a few hours before caused me to hydroplane and lose control of the wheel. I hit a car coming the opposite direction head-on, going 45 miles per hour on impact. 

My phone was dead and I was alone. I had never been driving in a serious collision and I was hysterical. 

Teen car accidents are common, hence why insurance for a teenager or new-driver is more expensive than someone who has had their license for 20 years. 

Motor-vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death among teens ages 15-20 years old, according to Rmiia.org, and in 2016, 56% of fatal accidents were teen drivers ages 16-19. 

These statistics alone are eye-opening. It’s not that teen drivers are automatically worse drivers than their former generation. It just means less experienced drivers are more likely to wreck or be involved in a fatal car accident. And that group of “less experienced” drivers, just happens to be us. 

We can hear “stay off your phone” or “both hands on the wheel at all times,” but when it comes down to it, sometimes the accidents are pure inexperience. 

I had no idea that hydroplaning could even happen, let alone put me in a fatal crash that would have cost my life if a few details to the crash were different. The biggest thing I can say to expect if you’re ever in a collision: stay calm. 

As teens, the blame is usually pointed at us, but it doesn’t always have to be that way. From my accident, I learned that staying calm and going through the simple steps to deal with a collision could help you understand that the wreck you just experienced was an accident. Just that. Accidents happen, and it is easy to let your first collision get the best of your emotions. 

The first step, make sure you and anyone else involved is okay and not hurt. That is the most important step after an accident, cars are replaceable but you are not.

Second, take pictures of everything! License plates, dents, anything that pertains to the car(s) and the accident need to be photographed for proof. 

Third, if you haven’t already, call 911. Every accident needs to be reported to and be handled by law enforcement or insurance companies can not pay for damages and/injuries. 

Exchange information and keep reminding yourself: it was an accident! 

These real-life situations can be scary to deal with and understand growing up, but you’re learning how to be an adult! It’s okay to be scared but keep your cool. The most important part of this is that you’re okay. Safe-driving y’all!