New Guidelines for Close Contacts

Schools with mask mandates no longer require close contact quarantines

Two weeks ago, a student who was a close contact was told to stay home for ten days. This week, that student can attend as long as they remain asymptomatic. 

Governor Holcomb has issued a new executive order that prevents Hoosiers in school from quarantine- provided a school has a strict mask mandate in place. Because NAFCS has had a mask mandate since August 12, any students who were in quarantine have been given the clear to return as long as they are asymptomatic and wear a mask. 

Quarantine is one of the largest reasons a school may switch to all virtual or hybrid. Scottsburg Schools wemt virtual in late August as too many students were out due to being a close contact. 

Students will still be alerted and have the option to quarantine in the case of being a close contact. Sophomore Bethany Sanders was recently in quarantine for two weeks and says she would not continue to attend. 

“I think it’s horrible,” Sanders said. “I believe that you can get corona even if you do wear a mask, even if you are vaccinated. Even though the symptoms will be less it will still hurt you. If you have corona and touch any surface, anyone can touch that surface and get it. You can still carry it even without symptoms. I believe that we need to go virtual again. I don’t think it’s right to be doing this. I think we need to shut down or else Covid numbers will rise.”

T​​his change could solidify how long masks are worn in school. Selling ‘we no longer have to wear masks, but your student may have to miss out on life for two weeks’ is unlikely. Senior Autumn Habern is sad at the prospect of never attending high school without a mask again. 

“I don’t dislike masks because I understand Covid and the pandemic,” Habern said. “It kind of sucks that we have to wear masks for our last year in high school.  I like seeing my friend’s faces. I like making them laugh and smile. When [we’re] wearing a mask it doesn’t have the same effect.”