2022 Retirement Profiles//Sharon Allen

FACS teacher Sharon Allen reflects on her career before retirement

2022 Retirement Profiles//Sharon Allen

Abby Moutardier, Editor-in-Chief

As the school year comes to a close, the 23 year New Albany High School career of family and consumer science teacher Sharon Allen does the same. 

There is so much I will miss,” Allen said. “I work with some amazing professionals who are creative and have a huge heart for kids. Through the years, I have had the privilege of building relationships with students who are extremely kind and talented. While I am sad over leaving a job that has brought me so much satisfaction and fulfillment, I am excited to have more time to devote to my family and church.”

In 20 years, a lot has changed with technology, and Allen says she has noticed in her 

classroom. 

The biggest change has been in technology,” Allen said. “When I first started teaching at Scribner, we didn’t even have phones in our rooms let alone a computer.  Now, everyone, teachers as well as students, has [a cell phone.]”

For Allen, she says she doesn’t think the pandemic changed her as a teacher, because of this same technology. 

The pandemic, I don’t think, really changed me as a teacher,” Allen said. “We used more technology, but I have always enjoyed technology.  I did enjoy creating the specific lessons that were necessary during the pandemic and I hope to do some online teaching in the future.” 

As a FACS teacher, Allen says she is very proud of her department.

I am most proud that our Family Consumer Science Department continues to grow,” Allen said. “We have dedicated teachers who are passionate about our curriculum.”