How to: Stay away from rumors

Follow these tips and tricks to stay out of drama

Nicole Richert, Reporter

Schools are starting back up which means the rumors are too.

I try and stop drama by talking about whatever is going on because it’s probably just a misunderstanding,” junior Carter Gammons said.

Gammons has had his fair share of rumors including, “The funniest story I heard about me is that I was dating my best friend and she was cheating on her boyfriend with me, 6th grade drama, I swear,” Gammons said. 

Miscommunication has an emotional impact including loss of morale, stress, and frustration resulting in a burden people take home with them, affecting their overall performance, according to Work Force.

“I keep to myself and my friends,” Theater Art lover, junior Mia Kerberg said.

According to Wiki How, one way to solve the drama is to respond to a rumor in a timely manner. Some people choose to ignore the rumor instead of responding, which in some cases can be a good option, depending on the extent of the rumor. 

Wiki How also say that in most cases though, it’s most efficient to respond to rumors that could damage yours or someone else’s reputation in many ways. 

I shut it down directly and I actually put my friends in the person they’re talking about shoes,” sophomore Cross Country runner Mary Mingus said.

One way to shut a rumor down directly is to make it known that the rumor is untrue. The best way to put out the fire of a rumor is by proving it couldn’t possibly be true Wiki How explains. 

For example, that person in your algebra class was telling everyone that they saw you cheating on your partner at your house Friday night when you know plenty well that you didn’t get home from your family vacation until Sunday morning.

I try to involve myself with positive people,” Mingus said.

A good way to keep yourself away from drama is to cut off negative people in your life. Finding that the people around you or your friends are constantly gossiping and bringing negative energy into your life, may be a sign to rethink and reevaluate who you surround yourself with.

If it’s not my drama I just stay out of it,” junior Aubrey Haydon said.

It is good to keep yourself out of the drama which Possum Hollow supports by saying that drama does in fact have negative effects on you like anxiety, sadness, palpitations, anger, insomnia, weight gain or loss, depression, appetite loss, addiction, and eating disorders.

I keep away from the drama by keeping my mind off the drama and what is more important,” Gammons said.

Circle Around

says it’s good to observe your tendencies to gossip. Gossiping can be a compulsive talk and spending your day doing so can lead you away to habits like this due to the obsessive tendency of gossiping, observing your tendencies to gossiping can help you step away from these habits and realize when you are gossiping. 

“A lot of people say my life is unicorn and rainbows, like I just live on top of a rainbow but I go through things just like everyone else,” Mingus said. 

A good last thing to remember is to not take rumors personally, according to Wiki How. While this can be difficult to do because some rumors can be really harmful and hurtful, remember that people spread rumors for a reason whether it be for good or bad reasons. 

It’s better to stay above the rumors and not encourage the rumors to become bigger than what they already are.