Halfway there

Students reflect on club choice

German Club members play tug-o-war at a fall outing at a local park.

Kaytlin Cahill, Reporter

At the beginning of the school year, every student chose from a list of 101 clubs to go to one Friday each month. Despite the large number of clubs, some students are getting bored with what they chose in August and are wondering if they can switch clubs.

“[We should be able to change clubs because] some people don’t like the club they’re in,” sophomore Jasmine Haskins, a student who joined the Debate Club, said.

Anywhere from Harry Potter Club to Walking Club to Reading Club, they are offered all kinds of options.

“[I like my club choice because] my club [BAYA] specifically teaches women how to really express themselves,” senior Briasia Jackson said.

Some clubs aren’t as fun as students thought they were going to be when they first joined, and others were just the right fit. Some students are wishing to change their club but have a hard time finding the right club for them.

“I wouldn’t change my club because there aren’t many options that I’m interested in,” Haskins said.

Clubs are often seen as a time to take a break from traditional classes and perhaps allow students to explore new hobbies. Sophomore Sophia Wilson says she would like to switch out of her club if there were more options she was interested in.

“I think [keeping the same clubs] shouldn’t be forced, but we should have the option to change clubs if we so choose to,” Wilson said.

Athletic Director BJ McAlister is in charge of clubs; he says it is possible to change clubs with the help from teachers.

“[Students are allowed to change club choice] through communication with teachers who are sponsoring the clubs,” McAlister said. “The teacher can determine if the move is doable with spots available. Teachers have stated they need to prepare for clubs; therefore if club numbers are always changing it is difficult for teachers to plan and/or know how much materials to have available.”

Science teacher Mrs. Debbie Haeberlin runs the Goat Club. She has a goat farm and has a special place in her heart for them; she says teaching about them brings a smile to her face. She said some students thought her club was ‘Greatest Of All Time’ and was abbreviated to be Goat Club.

“I think [students] should have the option to switch at least [once every] semester because a lot of times some kids get into something thinking it’s one thing without reading [the club description],” Haeberlin said. “I’d rather you be in a club that you enjoy versus being put in something that you misunderstood or don’t like.”

Most clubs don’t require funds, but if they do they are self-funded or teacher-funded, according to Mr. McAlister. Mrs. Haeberlin said that Anchor Club does fundraisers to help their cause and recently did a fundraiser to help a student get a wheelchair by dressing up as Santa.

The next club day is January 20.