A teacher in the eye of a student

Student teacher Ethan Miles tells about his experiences so far

Shanda Bailey, Reporter

First semester student teacher Ethan Miles sat in the back of a classroom and observed both the students and social studies teacher Mrs. Wendy Headrick in order to see what works.

After Christmas break Miles began to experience what it is like to be a teacher himself. By then he had already had some ideas on how he wants to experiment with the world of teaching.

“The thing I enjoy most is getting people involved,” Miles said. “The biggest change I would like to make is trying to make a positive environment for people to learn in.” 

Miles attends IUS and is set to graduate in May of this year. He hopes to teach high school students after graduation and possibly even at New Albany.

“I focused a lot on the class reaction to different stuff [Mrs. Headrick] was doing,” Miles said. “There was one activity that went over really well with all the students. We did a stock market simulation, everyone loved that which is part of the reason why I want to do activities. It’s just more fun than sitting there and doing a lecture.”

Miles knows what it’s like to be a Bulldog, he graduated from New Albany in 2010. Seeing what New Albany was like then versus now gives him a better understanding of what he wants to incorporate into teaching.  He hadn’t always known that he wanted to teach, but his mother was an elementary school teacher which helped him with his inspiration.

Everyone knows that teachers don’t make a lot of money. Despite knowing this, Miles interest in social studies is his drive for becoming a teacher.

“As little as teachers make, I make less. It’s not about the money, you don’t go into this field to get rich,” Miles said. “I’ve always had a passion for social studies and I feel like part of teaching is having that passion and wanting to share that with people. It’s just a duty to society as a whole and trying to help shape the next generation of people.”

Miles says that he would like to do more inquiry-based activities where students get to pick a topic of their choice to research and learn about themselves. He says that one of his biggest goals is getting his students more involved in his lessons.

“I want to include a lot more activities and classroom discussion. A lot of times, especially with lectures you tune them out,” Miles said.“If you can choose what you’re learning about it makes you more interested.”

Miles says he enjoys his time outside of school by playing video games, hiking with his dog and playing Dungeons and Dragons.

“You have to be a nerd to be a teacher,” Miles said.

Student teaching has helped Miles learn a lot about his career. He says he has learned a lot so far and is looking forward to learning more.

“I’ve enjoyed it a lot so far, I’ve learned a lot and I still have a lot to learn. I’m looking forward to learning, teaching and I’m looking forward to what the future is going to be from there,” Miles said.