Fast, but mostly furious

Students worry about the future of their modified vehicles

Nicole Richert, Reporter

Many young women and men spend countless dollars on upgrades and modifications for their cars, but in some areas, popular modifications are also very illegal. 

California is known to have the strictest limit on car modifications, with the rapid growing use of electric or hybrid vehicles, certain states like California tend to “people please” electric car owners. 

Some modifications done on cars have to be approved by the California Air Resource Board, approving those that are permitted for installation on a highway driven vehicle. 

“No cats, no catalytic converter, they’re not hurting the environment as much as people say,” junior Donovan Taylor said.

Donovan Taylor’s Mustang

Even though many states have strict laws of modifications, Indiana isn’t nearly as strict, only having laws concerning the sound systems and mufflers of vehicles.

Indiana requires sound systems not to be audible from more than 75 feet away from the car while in public or on the street.

“I had a noise complaint in my Corvette because it has long tubes and straight pipes and my neighbor didn’t like that,” senior Jovon Neace said.

Mufflers are required on all vehicles when in public or on the street, cannot be audible to any person not on the same property between the hours of 10pm and 7am.

Vehicles also can’t have straight pipes, bypasses, cutouts, baffles or expansion chambers to be street legal, unless a permit has been granted due to special events. However, this law in specific can vary in each county.

“I know they’re not allowed, it’s because of the emissions, it creates too much carbon in the atmosphere,” Taylor said. 

Jovon Neace’s S2000

Vehicle cannot exceed 13 feet six inches in height, there are no lift limits on the suspension or frame height providing the bumper is no higher than 30 inches.

“I lowered all three of my s2000’s because they look way better,” Neace said.

Indiana does not have regulations regarding engine swaps or modifications affecting performance.

“My dream swap is a Hyundai K24 swapped in a 65′ Mustang because big cars, little engine is cool,” Taylor said

“My dream engine swap is a It4out of a 2018 ZL1 Camaro put into a 68′ Camaro because who wouldn’t want a new supercharged engine in a classic,” Neace said.

Indiana also offers both a historic and antique Year of Manufacture license plate, which are available for 25 years or older cars.

“My favorite classic car is a 1968 Camaro SS because it was my first car and has the best look out of any classic in my opinion,” Neace said.

Every state has their own laws and own ways of dealing with modified cars but so do modified car owners. 

These cars are people’s expressions of creativity, have sentimental value, and incredibly hard work with a load of dedicated time.

One way modified car owners have gone against these laws is showing their support through the QUIET CLUB movement.

Donovan Taylor’s Trans Am and Mustang

Starting in Texas, the QUIET CLUB movement has spread all over the country, gaining support of car enthusiasts everyday. These license plates provide a sense of protection for modified car owners, knowing that if an officer tries to scan their license plate, nothing will come up, unless you get caught.

“Yes, I’ve heard of that, I think if you’re fast enough to get away from the cops then you can get away with that,” Taylor said.

This started when states began mentioning restricting cars to electric only, quiet cars. With a good play on words, the QUIET CLUB has made a whole new community for cars gurus alike.

Congress must pass the RPM Act, protecting the rights of Americans to convert street vehicles into dedicated race cars and the motorsports parts industry’s ability to sell products, if not the future of cars will include the inevitable demise of gasoline power vehicles.