Remarkable weekend for sports fans

By: Abby Nash

It’s safe to say that many students here at New Albany High School attended the highly anticipated basketball game this past Friday, December 9, at Floyd Central.

Students and fans from both participating teams were on edge each of the four quarters as the game remained close with only four to five points ever in between. As the fourth quarter came down to its last seconds, the game finished in a tie, giving both teams four extra minutes in overtime to make a run. Overtime remained close as well. With less than five seconds remaning in overtime, sophomore Dre McBirth drained a three giving the Dogs a glorious win against the Floyd Central Highlanders and Coach Shannon his 400th win!

Following the Friday night win for New Albany, the Indiana Hoosiers took on their archrivals, the Kentucky Wildcats at Indiana’s Assembly Hall. Similar to the previous local game against NA and FC, both college teams stayed consistently close the whole game. With time running out and fans on the edges of their seats, Indiana’s Christian Watford received the ball and shot a three. As the buzzer sounded and the backboard lit up, the ball sank into the basket giving the Hoosiers a win against the Wildcats with the score resulting in 73 to 72. The stands flooded the court and Assembly Hall went crazy as fans celebrated the win they’ve been dreaming of.