2020 Retirees // Mrs. Lucie Cissell

Abby Moutardier, Reporter

The 2020 school year ended without closure for not only seniors, but for several faculty and staff who are retiring. Media Specialist didn’t know her last day at NAHS would be before spring break.

How long have you been at NA and what has changed since you started?

I came to New Albany High School in 1993 when Principal Steve Sipes recruited me after coming to an Educational Technology Workshop I was facilitating for schools in the area. I was a Biology teacher but was interested in computers and jumped at the opportunity to bring technology to NAHS. When I started there were only a handful of computers which ran from floppy disks. The only phones in the building were located in the office and not one student had a cell phone in their pocket! I set up the first computer lab and I helped with the design and set up of the original network system in the building. I was a part of bringing all of the technology you see now in the school. Every year has been different with something new to learn. I have been able to teach both students and staff through the years and it has been very rewarding.

How does it feel ending your year like this?

It is a very strange way to end a career. I am sad that Covid-19 is hurting so many people in our community and hope all are doing their best to stay safe. I am not really good with goodbyes so not being at school is making that part a little easier. I am sad to leave, but happy to spend more time with my family. It has been a long good career and I hope I was able through teaching and support to make a difference.

Do you have any specific stories or memories over the years?

I am proud to have been part of the development of many initiatives at NAHS. We had a great group that worked together to make our school a better place. I feel lucky to have worked with many people that truly cared about the community and worked hard to provide the best opportunities for students. 

What will you miss most about NA?

I will miss watching students grow from funny freshmen to hopeful seniors going out into the world. I will also miss working with teachers and sharing day to day life with them.

What, if anything, makes NA different from other schools?

NAHS is great because we are the most diverse school in the area. We have great teachers and a broad curriculum. Our students come from all walks of life and they respect and care for one another. We strive to help those that are less fortunate and that makes me very proud. NAHS teachers know that their curriculum is important but they also know that working to develop a students  character is equally important. NAHS teachers and students are the BEST!